Thursday, December 3, 2009

Success with New recipe

I am so happy I think i am finally getting a kick out of this whole cooking thing!!

About six months ago I would cook something and we would sit down to eat at our kitchen table and when I would eat whatever my creation was, I would end up thinking man this doesn't taste as good as my mother's. I dont know what happened, but at some point around July I realized I was starting to finally get the hang of this cooking thing. I have been finally where Sarah Beth has never been before! I can tell when Justin doesn't care for my dish or choice of dinner.

And I am really sad to admit there have been times he doesn't go near the dinner.
Like the time I tried to make banana pudding his favorite. That was before we were even engaged like back in 2006 so that doesn't really count. Or the time that I made pork chops that my mom always made that are delicious. the only reason why he didn't like them is because they had onions on them. Thats one thing that we differ with. I love onions!

But I have made chicken tetrazini (sp?) , stringy pot roast, coca cola chicken, gumbo, chicken enchalidas, taco soup, general tso's chicken, and red beans and rice. Now tonight I have tried something new and very impromptude Potato Soup.

I called my mom before getting home on my daily commute and asked her for the ingredients of her potato soup. This is usually how my menus for dinners go. I usually decide on the way home from work what I would like to cook.

I came home, looked up the recipe that my mom had in a cookbook that she gave me and started working on my creation.

It actually turned out pretty good!

Heres the recipe especially because its going to be really cold this weekend :)

3 cups of potatos cut up
1 can of chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion
1 tsp of parsley
1 lb of velvetta cheese
1 1/2 cup of milk
2 tbsp of flour

First you boil the potatos, chicken stock, and parsley salt, and pepper, in water
the recipe called for 1 cup of water but i submerged the potatoes
then you add the milk and flour after the potatos are tender, then finally once
thick you add the cheese and serve once melted.

my husband isn't a soup person, apparently its not very manly to eat soup but even he liked it!

tomorrow we are supposed to get snow. i am so not looking forward to the scheduling of this weather disaster. I wish this could have occured on say Wednesday!
last year it snowed ( December 11, 2008) and i didn't even miss work, i just got to go home early and it didnt even snow hardly at my house! but where I work it snowed a lot!

apparently it is supposed to start tomorrow at noon. we have a christmas party or social for our sunday school class tomorow. i am not happy about this. don't get me wrong. I love weather you cuddle up in at home and don't leave the house, but unfortunately this is the weekend our sunday school class has its christmas party, then on saturday night justin's company has their annual christmas party. I just hope that the roads aren't bad. my guess is that it will not snow, it will sleet. ehhhhh. thats so much worse.

today i realized that I have got to get into a fitness routine. I actually got mad at myself! I am so tired of feeling like this and I have so many excuses not to work out or not to eat better.
I seriously have got to do something and after the holidays is too late. I need to now.

another thing, i need to spend more time with God. In the last two months I feel like I have been so distant from him. I need to spend time in prayer and in the word and I just can't make the time. I know I have the time. I have no kids, I come home from work, what is my problem.
I really need to make a few changes in my daily routine. I miss spending time with him and learning about him.

so after cooking my creamy potato soup, cleaning up the kitchen, then throwing a load of laundry in the wash i am now ready to call it a night.

2 comments:

  1. How cool!! I've never been much of a cook, but maybe there's hope...

    :)

    ~Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a really great recipe for Potato Soup that I got from a friend in college. I'll have to share it with you - because it is AWESOME! And I laughed out loud when I read that part about Justin not liking soup, because "apparently it's not very manly to eat soup." So funny!!

    And, about the fitness routine, I never used to like to exercise, but on my birthday this year I joined a gym and started running almost every day. I never thought I would love it so much but I do! It is great stress relief, and time devoted wholly to me. You should give it a try! I didn't really start running to lose weight, but one of the side effects has been it has come off pretty easily, which is motivating as well! I lost 12 pounds without even looking! Seriously, I weighed myself (a thing I rarely do) and was like, "WOW!" Once you get over the hard part, which is getting started, running is awesomely rewarding and beneficial!!! :)

    ReplyDelete